Transfer your interstate registration

You must change over your interstate vehicle registration to the Northern Territory (NT) within three months of arriving in the NT.

You will need to do all of the following:

You do not need to display registration stickers on light vehicles in the NT.

Proof of interstate vehicle ownership

You must provide a document that identifies the person you bought or acquired your vehicle from, and confirms the transfer of ownership.

You can use any of the following documents as proof of ownership:

  • the most recent certificate of registration, in the name of, and signed by the most recent registered owner
  • a bill of sale from a recognised auction house or a licensed motor vehicle dealer
  • a copy of a will or probate advice, written advice from a solicitor, or letter from a public trustee, indicating that the vehicle is bequeathed to you
  • documents from a court of law allocating ownership of a vehicle
  • a letter, receipt, or notice of disposal from the last registered owner of the vehicle, clearly identifying themselves, the vehicle, and the buyer – must include the registration number, Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) or chassis number, and engine number of the vehicle
  • a death certificate in cases where a vehicle is registered in joint names and one of the parties dies.

Compliance check

You must have a compliance check done by an inspector through the Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) test shed in Darwin or Alice Springs or the weigh bridge in Katherine.

In Tennant Creek and Nhulunbuy, inspectors visit on a monthly basis. To find out exact dates, contact these offices through the MVR customer service centre on 1300 654 628.

In remote locations, compliance checks may be done at your local police station.

A compliance check is an inspection of the vehicle's identifiers by an approved person including the:

  • VIN
  • engine number.

Roadworthy inspection

Roadworthy inspections can be done as follows:

Stamp duty

You may be exempt from stamp duty – check the application for stamp duty exemption PDF (195.5 KB).

Pay stamp duty

If you have previously paid stamp duty when the vehicle was first registered in your name interstate, you don't need to pay it again when transferring the registration to the NT.

If you did not transfer the ownership of the vehicle into your name in your previous state or territory, you will need to pay the necessary stamp duty to register your vehicle in the NT.

Check the MVR stamp duty calculator.

How to submit your application

In person

You can submit your completed form with supporting documents at an MVR office.

You can pay your fee by MasterCard, Visa, BasicsCard, cash or EFTPOS.

Speak to a MVR customer service officer (8am to 4pm, Monday to Friday) 1300 654 628.

Last updated: 31 January 2020


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.