Renew your vehicle registration
To drive on a Northern Territory (NT) road, you must renew your car or other vehicle registration with the Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR).
On the MVR Quick Pay website.
You can only pay your registration using MVR Quickpay if your vehicle is registered in the NT and:
- you have already submitted your vehicle roadworthy inspection report
- or your vehicle is not due for a roadworthy inspection.
Check if your vehicle needs a vehicle inspection. Your roadworthy inspection report (green slip) must be submitted in person or by email.
To pay your registration you will need the transaction number shown on your registration renewal notice.
You can pay using Visa, MasterCard or BPAY.
You can pay your registration for a period of one, three, six or 12 months.
At Australia Post
You can renew your NT vehicle registration for one, three, six or 12 months at participating Australia Post outlets.
Find out about MVR transactions you can do at Australia Post outlets in the NT.
NT rego app
You can pay your registration fee using the NT rego app if:
- your vehicle has been or is registered in the NT
- you have already submitted your vehicle roadworthy inspection report or your vehicle is not due for a roadworthy inspection.
You will need your MVR transaction number to pay by the app.
You can find your transaction number on your certificate of registration or renewal notice.
You can renew your registration by calling 1300 654 628, if you can meet all of the following conditions:
- you are an NT resident
- you have already submitted your vehicle roadworthy inspection report or your vehicle is not due for a roadworthy inspection
- your vehicle registration has not been cancelled or suspended
- your vehicle is not defected.
You will need your registration number (number plate).
You will also need to pay using Visa or MasterCard.
You can pay by mail if you send all of the following:
- your renewal notice including Visa or MasterCard payment details provided at the back of the notice
- a letter requesting renewal including your vehicle's registration number
- the inspection report if your vehicle needed an inspection
- cheque or money order to pay your renewal fee (if applicable).
Motor Vehicle Registry
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801
You can pay in person at an MVR office by cash, cheque, BasicsCard, EFTPOS, Visa or MasterCard.
You will need your registration number (number plate) and evidence of identity such as your driver licence. Please bring your roadworthy inspection report if your vehicle needed an inspection.
Last updated: 07 March 2019