Renew your vehicle registration
To drive on a Northern Territory (NT) road, you must renew your car or other vehicle registration with the Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR).
You can pay your registration for a period of one, three, six or 12 months.
Before you renew
Check your renewal notice to find out when your roadworthy inspection is due.
You may be able to renew your registration for a short period (such as one or three months) up until the inspection due date.
You may be able to get a concession on your registration fee. Find out what concession cards you can use at MVR.
If your vehicle is due for an inspection
The inspection must be carried out by an authorised inspector.
Check if the inspector has forwarded the inspection report (green slip) to the MVR.
If they haven't, you will need to submit it yourself through any of the following:
How to renew
You can renew your registration using the options below.
You can renew your registration online if:
- your vehicle is or has been registered in the NT and
- you have already submitted your vehicle inspection report - if your vehicle is due for an inspection.
You will need the transaction number shown on your registration renewal notice.
You can pay by Visa, MasterCard or BPAY.
Renew your registration
On the MVR Quick Pay website.
You can also access the registration renewal link through the NT rego app.
You can renew your registration by calling 1300 654 628, if you can meet all of the following conditions:
- you are an NT resident
- you have already submitted your vehicle inspection report - if your vehicle is due for an inspection
- your vehicle registration has not been cancelled or suspended
- your vehicle is not defected.
You will need your registration number (number plate).
You can pay by Visa or MasterCard.
You can renew your registration at a participating Australia Post outlet or at an MVR office, if you provide the following:
- your registration number (number plate)
- your evidence of identity such as your driver licence
- the inspection report - if your vehicle is due for an inspection.
You can pay by cash, cheque, BasicsCard, EFTPOS, Visa or MasterCard.
You can renew your registration by mail, if you send all of the following:
- your renewal notice including payment details provided at the back of the notice
- a letter requesting renewal including your vehicle's registration number
- the inspection report - if your vehicle is due for an inspection
- cheque or money order to pay your renewal fee (if applicable).
Motor Vehicle Registry
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801
Last updated: 01 April 2020
Share this page: