Buying and selling a used vehicle: registration


When buying or selling a vehicle, you must follow the proper processes to notify the Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) that the ownership of the vehicle has been changed.

This notification is called a notice of disposal.

The MVR will then update its records to register the new owner of the vehicle.

This ensures that any liabilities - such as traffic fines or offences - are the responsibility of the right person.

The seller will no longer be responsible for any traffic infringement notices that are issued for the vehicle after the sale.

How to update your vehicle's records

Find out what you need to do as the:

For more information, read the notice of disposal information bulletin PDF (682.9 KB).

Learn more about buying a new or used vehicle.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 31 January 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.