Register your heavy vehicle in the NT

Apply to register your heavy vehicle

Find out how to check your current registration.

You don't need to display registration stickers on heavy vehicles.


Before you apply to register your heavy vehicle, you will need:

If you want to apply for national heavy vehicle (NHV) plates you will also need to fill in a R48 form - Application for right to display an NHV number plate PDF (357.8 KB).

NHV plates are voluntary and only certain vehicles are eligible. Find out more below.

In person

Submit your completed forms, roadworthy inspection report and compliance check (if needed) at an MVR office. 

You will then have to pay:

Fees can be paid by cash, EFTPOS, Visa or MasterCard. 

You can pay your registration for a period of:

  • one month
  • three months
  • six months
  • nine months
  • 12 months.

The registration certificate will show the following information:

  • name and garage or postal address of nominated operator
  • name and address of registered owner/s if different to nominated operator.


Email your completed forms, inspection report and compliance check (if needed) to

MVR will call you for your credit card details to pay:

By mail

Send your completed forms, the original inspection report and compliance check (if needed) to:

Motor Vehicle Registry
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801

You can pay by cheque or money order. You can also pay by Visa or MasterCard by calling the MVR on 1300 654 628 once your documents have been received.

You can apply for NHV number plates if:

  • you own an NT heavy vehicle or trailer with a GVM more than 4.5 tonnes
  • and you are eligible for general issued number plates.

The following heavy vehicle types are not eligible:

  • plant
  • special purpose
  • commercial passenger.

You can't personalise NHV number plates. They are issued in sequence.

The right to display NHV number plates is voluntary. You can apply for the right to display NHV plates when you are applying to:

  • register a new heavy vehicle
  • re-register an unregistered heavy vehicle
  • transfer state or territory registration to a participating jurisdiction
  • replace lost, damaged, destroyed or stolen number plates.

Benefits of NHV plates

NHV plates can be transferred with registrations to other states and territories except for Western Australia.

Owners and operators with NHV number plates also get free access to the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) portal.

If your heavy vehicle is registered with an NHV number plate you can also check its registration on the NHVR portal or by using the NHVR checker app.

Get more information on the NHVR website.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 28 July 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.