National heavy vehicle number plates
You can apply for national heavy vehicle (NHV) number plates if:
- you own an NT heavy vehicle or trailer with a GVM more than 4.5 tonnes
- you're eligible for general issued number plates.
The following heavy vehicle types are not eligible:
- special purpose
- commercial passenger.
How to apply
To apply, fill in the R48 application for right to display an NHV number plate and submit it when you register your heavy vehicle.
You can't personalise NHV plates. They're issued in sequence.
You can apply for the right to display NHV plates when you're applying to:
- register a new heavy vehicle
- re-register an unregistered heavy vehicle
- transfer state or territory registration to a participating jurisdiction
- replace lost, damaged, destroyed or stolen number plates.
Benefits of NHV plates
- transfer your NHV plates to other states and territories except for Western Australia
- get free access to the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) portal to check its registration or by using the NHVR checker app.
For more information, go to the NHVR website.
Last updated: 21 January 2021
Share this page: