Register your heavy vehicle in the NT

To register your heavy vehicle in the Northern Territory (NT), you must go through the Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR).

You can register a heavy vehicle if you’re:

  • an individual or joint owner
  • a managing director or secretary who acts on behalf of a company - e.g. body corporate or incorporated association
  • a representative or agent who conducts business on behalf of another person or company.

For joint owners, you can nominate who is named first on the registration certificate. This affects demerit points for shared vehicles.

You don't need to display registration stickers on heavy vehicles in the NT.

Registration periods

You can register your heavy vehicle for a period of:

  • one month
  • 3 months
  • 6 months
  • 9 months
  • 12 months.

How to register

To register, follow the steps below.

You must nominate an operator who is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the heavy vehicle.

You must check if your vehicle needs an inspection. If your vehicle is oversize or overmass, you must register as a special purpose vehicle, so you'll need an inspection.

If it needs a repair, you may get a temporary licence on a case by case basis.

You may also need to get a compliance check at a government vehicle inspection facility.

You must have the following documents:

For joint owners and shared vehicles, you must also provide extra supporting documents.

Joint owners

To register your vehicle in joint names, all parties must attend an MVR office. If one of you can't attend, the other joint owner can apply on your behalf if you:

  • provide written authority
  • are both already customers on the MVR database.

Body corporate or incorporated association

Body corporate or incorporated associations must also submit:

  • a letter of authority to act on behalf of the company
  • current copy of the company extract from the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC)
  • certificate of incorporation from the relevant issuing authority (if applicable)
  • proof of garage address in the NT - this can be one of the following:
    • certificate of land title of land ownership for the premises
    • lease agreement, written authorisation from landowner, or rent book showing address of the property
    • taxation assessment notice in relation to the premises
    • council rate notice
    • utility (power, water and sewerage) accounts relating to the premises.

Representatives or agents of the owners

Representatives or agents must also submit:

  • written authority of their representative or agents status to act on behalf of the company
  • proof of garage address in the NT.

Submit your application and supporting documents at an MVR office

You must pay the heavy vehicle registration fee and the:

  • general issue number plate fee of $40
  • standard national heavy vehicle number plates fee of $25 per set - if applicable
  • special purpose vehicle fee - if applicable.

You can pay by EFTPOS, MasterCard, Visa, BasicsCard or cash.

After you register

Once you've completed step 4, you will get your number plate and registration certificate.

The certificate will show the:

  • name and garage or postal address of the nominated operator
  • name and address of the registered owner/s - if different to the nominated operator
  • vehicle information.

Last updated: 05 June 2022

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!