Demerit points for shared vehicles

If a driver of a shared vehicle commits a traffic offence, it's the responsibility of the owner to make sure the relevant driver is penalised.

The joint owner or body corporate can do this by:

  • following the instructions on the back of the infringement notice, and
  • returning the notice to the Fines Recovery Unit.

Once the notice is processed, the demerit points will be assigned to the nominated driver.

Joint owner vehicles

For joint owner vehicles, the first person on the registration certificate will be sent all traffic infringement notices.

All demerit points will also be against their driving record in the first instance unless the Fines Recovery Unit is told otherwise.

Body corporate vehicles

For body corporate vehicles, the body corporate must identify the driver at the time of the offence.

If they don't identify the driver, they will need to pay five times the penalty amount for an individual driver.

If they fail to identify the driver more than twice within any three-year period, they can be prosecuted.

Last updated: 21 September 2020

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!