Visiting drivers and traffic offences

All interstate and overseas drivers must obey the NT road Traffic regulations 1999.

Northern Territory (NT) Police and transport inspectors can give traffic infringement notices to interstate and overseas drivers.

Traffic infringement notices are:

  • given to the interstate or overseas driver
  • or sent to the registered or nominated vehicle owner.

Interstate and overseas drivers who receive demerit points will have their offence details and points history recorded by the Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR).

Interstate drivers will also have their demerit point offences sent to their home state or territory. Demerit point offences are only recorded by the MVR once the infringement notice has been finalised.

Interstate and overseas drivers who exceed the NT's demerit point action trigger may have their right to drive withdrawn in the NT.

Shared vehicles

If the vehicle has been hired out by a body corporate to an interstate or overseas driver, the body corporate will also receive the traffic infringement notice.

It is the responsibility of the body corporate or the owner to inform the NT Police about who was driving the vehicle at the time of the offence.

Find out more about demerit points for shared vehicles.

Last updated: 19 February 2019

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!