Oversize or overmass vehicles


All vehicles travelling on Northern Territory (NT) roads must comply with the maximum dimensional limits and maximum standard mass limits unless the vehicle has been given an exemption.

Vehicles that are oversize due to loads or equipment must comply with load restraint performance standards.

Read the v64 load restraint information bulletin PDF (362.7 KB).

Permits will generally have conditions of operation on the vehicle. For example, route restrictions.

In the NT, you need a permit for all of the following:

  • a special purpose vehicle that, by construction, exceeds the legal mass and/or dimension limits – eg cranes, drill rigs, plant-type vehicles
  • low loaders and load platforms that are specially designed for the carriage of a large inseparable item or are carrying a large inseparable item
  • vehicles and combinations that transport inseparable loads
  • agricultural machines, agricultural implements or agricultural combinations.

You can also apply or renew to be an oversize load pilot or escort operator.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 26 October 2017

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.