Oversize or overmass vehicles
Oversize load pilot operator: apply or renew
When piloting an oversize load you must operate the vehicle according to the Permit Guidelines for Oversize and Overmass Vehicles
Before you apply
If you are applying for the first time you will need to have all of the following:
- a training course certificate of attendance
- a training course certificate of attainment
- two written references
- a criminal history check
- the ability to pilot oversize loads from 3.5m wide up to and including 4.5 metres wide
- a current C class driver licence.
If you are applying to be an accredited pilot you will need to have all of the following:
- a current C class driver licence
- a current criminal history check
- two work related written references
- the ability to pilot oversize loads from 3.5m wide up to and including 5.5m wide
- completed the Certificate III in Transport and Logistics with a registered training organisation including:
- carry out vehicle inspection
- pilot or escort oversized and overmass loads
- use pilot and escort communication
- co-ordinate breakdowns and emergencies
- control traffic as a pilot vehicle operator
- completed a minimum of 10 oversize load piloting jobs (greater than 4.5m wide).
How to apply
You can send your application and documents to:
Chief Transport Inspector
Motor Vehicle Registry
PO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801
You can pay your fee by Visa or MasterCard by calling 1300 654 628.
You can submit your application form in in person at a MVR office. You can pay your fee by Visa, MasterCard, cash, cheque or EFTPOS.
Last updated: 10 July 2019