Heavy vehicle accreditation and driving interstate

You need to register your heavy vehicle in the Northern Territory (NT) if you are operating in the NT for more than three months. You don't need national heavy vehicle accreditation.

Heavy vehicles are regulated by the Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR).

NT heavy vehicle operators must comply with NT WorkSafe work, health and safety regulations – including fatigue management. To download the code of practice How to manage work health and safety risks, go to the NT WorkSafe website.

Operators have open access for road trains to all industrial areas, and 100% access to the road network for higher mass limits unless road restrictions apply.

NT operators crossing borders (except WA)

You can choose to join the National Heavy Vehicle Accreditation Scheme.

This is a voluntary scheme and offers concessions on mass, maintenance and fatigue.

Follow a step-by-step guide to submitting your national heavy vehicle accreditation scheme application on the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator website.

You will also have to pay the NHVAS fee as outlined on the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator website.

For example, you may need national accreditation in order to:

  • access specific roads
  • or manage fatigue requirements.

You must use the national work diary from at least the last major rest break before you've left the NT.

NT operators crossing into WA

If you are driving in Western Australia (WA), you will be regulated by WA laws and you may need WA heavy vehicle accreditation. You will also have to pay the accreditation fee.

There are guidelines and application forms available online.

You must also comply with the Western Australian fatigue management system.

Interstate operators

All heavy vehicles in states and territories - except the NT and WA - are regulated by the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR).

If you are driving within the NT for less than seven days, you should continue to fill out your national driver work diary.

Last updated: 01 May 2018

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!