Paying your rent in public housing

Rent increases when you get a job

If you get a job or your work hours increase and you receive more income you may apply for help through the Employment Incentive Scheme.

Households that are eligible for this scheme receive a fixed term tenancy agreement.

This agreement starts from the date of the change and lasts for up to 12 months.

Income and asset assessment

To apply for the scheme you must have your income and assets assessed.

A member of your household must also earn a minimum wage of $200 per week before tax.

You can only access the scheme once in a 12 month period.

How rent is increased

Your rent is increased in three stages during a 12 month period.

Stage one

For the first three months your rent is frozen at the rate before you got a job or increased your work hours.

Stage two

For the next three months your rental rebate is calculated based on your increased household income.

You will be charged full rent if the increase in your household income means you are no longer eligible for the rebate.

Stage three

The last stage continues for the remaining six months.

Households eligible for public housing will continue to receive a rental rebate.

Full rent will apply to households who are no longer eligible for public housing. This will remain until the tenancy agreement expires.

If your income drops your rent could be recalculated.

Go to rental rebates to read more.

How to apply

Contact your local housing office.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 04 October 2018


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.