Public housing tenancy support programs

If you're a public housing tenant or on a waiting list for a public house, you can join the tenancy support program.

What you can get help for

The program can help you resolve issues that might prevent you from getting or keeping a tenancy.

Issues may include any of the following:

  • domestic and family violence
  • relationship breakdowns
  • money and budgeting problems
  • problems with visitors and overcrowding
  • passing the regular tenancy inspections
  • support for your children and youth issues.

How your case is managed

This program will work with you on a case management plan.

This may include referrals to other support services, which can include:

  • financial and budgeting advice
  • family support services to help with violence and relationship breakdowns
  • youth services to help them reconnect with family and the education system
  • help with the management of visitors and overcrowding issues
  • advice with understanding your role and responsibilities as a public housing tenant
  • help with health, mental health, disability or substance abuse issues
  • getting back in the workforce with help in getting skills, training and education.

How to join

You can join the program by getting a referral from any of the following:

  • the Department of Territory Families, Housing and Communities
  • a tenancy support program provider
  • any other community service provider to the department.

Your referral or request will need to be approved by the department.

For more information about how to join the program, contact your local housing office.


You will be asked to give your permission to share your personal information with the department.

The department will only ask you questions and collect the personal information they must have to help you get the support and services you need.

You don't have to share all of your personal information to be part of the program.

Your personal information is protected by law.

Leaving the program

The program is voluntary so you can leave at any time.

You can tell your housing tenancy officer or tenancy support program case worker if you don't want to continue.

For more information or to ask questions about the tenancy support program, contact your local housing office.

Last updated: 22 September 2020

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!