Paying your rent in public housing

If you do not pay your rent or other bills

You will go into debt if you don't pay your rent and other bills on time.

The amount of time you have to pay a bill is different for each service provided.

For example:

  • rental arrears - immediately
  • damage to property charges - 30 days
  • excess water charges - 30 days
  • legal fees - 30 days
  • bond - the date you start your tenancy
  • bond assistance loan – refer to your loan repayment schedule.

If you can't make your payments, you must contact your housing officer about the available payment options.

Notice of rental arrears

You will be sent an arrears advice letter if your rent is 7 days overdue.

If your rent is still not paid 7 days after this first letter, you will receive a final arrears advice letter.

The letters will include a summary of what you must pay.

Help with paying your debts

Contact your local housing office as soon as possible to let them know you're having problems paying your bills.

You can also ask for support services that can help you manage your money so that you can pay your bills on time.

Agreement to pay

You may not be able to pay your debt with one payment.

The department will work with you to organise a number of payments over an agreed period of time.

This is called an agreement to pay.

For more information, contact your local housing office.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 12 September 2022

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!