How to transfer land

If you're a land owner and you wish to sell your property, you must apply to transfer the land with a Northern Territory (NT) Land Titles Office.

Transfers of land can be complex.

Signing a transfer of lot form puts legal obligations on both seller and buyer, and means the buyer is required to pay stamp duty on the sale.

You should seek advice from a solicitor or licensed conveyancing agent before signing a transfer form.

Before you apply

Before you apply to transfer the land, there are some documents you must have for your property type.

For a residential property less than 1.8 hectares with a swimming pool, you must provide one of the following:

  • a compliance certificate of pool safety fencing
  • a provisional compliance certificate of pool safety fencing
  • an acknowledgement notice with a purchaser's declaration
  • a provisional acknowledgement notice or temporary acknowledgement notice.

For a residential property less than 1.8 hectares without a swimming pool, you must provide one of the following:

  • no pool statutory declaration forms signed by all sellers PDF (752.4 KB) and by all purchasers PDF (752.9 KB)
  • a statutory declaration made by a legal practitioner
  • a statutory declaration made by either a real estate agent, a real estate agent's representative or a licensed conveyancing agent.

How to apply

To apply, follow the below steps:

Step 1. Print out the transfer of lot form DOC (54.0 KB) on one piece of paper using double sided printing.

Step 2. All sellers and buyers must fill in the form and sign it in front of a qualified witness.

Step 4. Take the completed form to your local Territory Revenue Office to assess and pay stamp duty - for contact and location details, go to the Department of Treasury and Finance website.

You may need to also provide other documents depending on the type of transaction you're involved in. Your solicitor or professional adviser can help with this.

Step 5. Submit the original transfer form, supporting documents and pay the fee to a Land Titles Office. If you have a duplicate certificate of title, you must return this to a Land Titles Office when you submit your form.


For more information, contact a Land Titles Office.

Last updated: 08 October 2020

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!