Permits for commercial photos, filming in parks

Types of permits to film in parks

You can get any of these permits to take commercial photos or film in a park: 

  • standard photography permit
  • non-standard photography permit
  • annual photography permit.

Standard photography

Permits for standard photography cost $55.

Standard photography is where:

  • you are not taking unusual images
  • you do not need special access or activity 
  • there are no cultural concerns to Aboriginal Traditional Owners
  • you do not need to be supervised. 

An outcome on applications for this permit can take up to five days. 

Non-standard photography

Non-standard photography costs $55, plus extra fees depending on what you want to do.

Non-standard photography is where:

  • you are taking unusual images
  • you need special access or activities
  • you need to be supervised
  • you want to do something that may raise concerns with Aboriginal Traditional Owners.

If the park is not jointly-managed, it can take up to 14 days for you to get an outcome on your permit application. 

However, if the park is jointly-managed, it can take up to 35 days for you to get an outcome on your permit application. 

If you are a tourism photojournalist or agent contact the Parks and Wildlife Commission Permits and Concessions office.

Annual photography

Permits for annual photography cost $55.

You can get this kind of permit if you meet all of the following conditions:

  • you are an individual photographer or film-maker
  • you are producing stock images or footage
  • you are doing standard photography (see standard photography information above)
  • you have no sets or props
  • you have no crew or paid models
  • there is no risk to the public or the park
  • you will not use the material for advertising without approval from Parks and Wildlife.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 10 February 2016

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.