Rainbow Valley Conservation Reserve
Rainbow Valley has scenic sandstone bluffs and cliffs that are a photographer's delight.
These are most impressive in the soft light of the morning or afternoon around sunset.
At these times the sandstone bands change from ochre red to orange and purple.
The reserve is on the traditional lands of the Upper Southern Arrernte people and is known to them as Wurre.
It has important archaeological sites rich in evidence of the ancient connection to the area.
Make sure you visit Mushroom Rock, an interesting sandstone formation, which has been carved by wind and rain over millions of years.
The short walk around the claypan is well worth it, especially in wildflower season.
All year round, except roads may be closed after heavy rain.
The best time to visit is during the cooler months from April to September.
The turnoff to the reserve is 75km south of Alice Springs along the Stuart Highway. The reserve is a further 22km on an unsealed access road.
It's recommended for four wheel drive (4WD) vehicles.
Check road conditions before you go.
Rainbow Valley Conservation Reserve has all of the following facilities:
- information signs
- fire pits
- public toilets
- picnic tables
- walking tracks.
When visiting the park, remember all of the following:
- stay on designated roads and tracks
- historic, cultural items and wildlife are protected
- firewood collection is not permitted in the reserve
- fires are only permitted in designated fire pits
- bins are not provided, so take your rubbish with you
- pets are not permitted in the reserve
- generators are not permitted
- drones are not permitted in the reserve.
Have a safe and comfortable trip to Rainbow Valley by doing all of the following:
- observe park safety signs
- carry and drink plenty of water
- wear a hat, sunscreen, insect repellent, suitable clothing and footwear
- avoid strenuous activity during the heat of the day
- think about your health and fitness when choosing a walk
- use free interactive park maps on your mobile phone or tablet.
Last updated: 05 June 2020
Share this page:URL copied!