Government school fees for international students

This page has information on the fees and other costs for international students attending government schools, how to pay fees and the refund process.


Year Tuition fee per year
Pre-school AU$3,750
Primary school: Transition to Year 6 AU$7,500
Middle school: Year 7 to 9 AU$9,000
Senior secondary: Year 10 to 12 AU$10,000
Fees to be paidPre-school Primary - Transition to Year 6 Middle - Year 7 to 9 Years 10, 11 or 12
Annual tuition fee AU$3,750 AU$7,500 AU$9,000 AU$10,000
^ Refundable bond Not applicable AU$1,000 AU$1,000 AU$1,000
Total AU$3750 AU$8,500 AU$10,000 AU$11,000

^ Additional costs for students who are the primary holder of a subclass 500 international student visa.

Fees include all of the following:

  • application and school placement processing
  • pre-departure information
  • welcome and orientation
  • student support services including career and personal counselling
  • ongoing English language support
  • school term and semester reports.

Additional expenses include:

  • student visa costs
  • homestay accommodation costs
  • school uniforms
  • school excursions
  • personal expenses
  • overseas student health cover (payable each year)
  • specialist course fees.

Fees for the Intensive English program are determined by the student's age and appropriate year level:

  • primary school the fee is $7,500 each year
  • middle school the fee is $9,000 each year
  • senior secondary the fee is $10,000 each year.

You can refer to the tuition fee table above.

Read more about the Intensive English program.

You are required to pay your fees in advance. Details are provided in the letter of offer, confirmation of placement or invoice issued by the school.

Who is required to pay fees

Students on specific visa subclasses are required to pay international student fees to attend a Northern Territory government school.

There are a range of visas that students may be on as the primary holder or as a dependent. Visas include:

  • visitor
  • working and skilled
  • studying and training
  • family and spousal
  • refugee and humanitarian
  • bridging or repealed.

The table below lists all visa subclasses that attract international student fees.

173 400 407
417 462 500
590 600 601
602 651 884

Repealed visas that attract fee include subclasses 160, 161, 162, 402, 442, 456, 459, 470, 570, 571 (except for exchange students), 572, 573, 574, 575, 580, 675, 676, 679, 685, 944, 956, 976 and 977.

For more information on visa subclasses that attract tuition fees get the overseas student tuition fees by visa subclass list (209.6 kb).

Bridging visa

Students on bridging visa class E (protection visa) are not required to pay international student fees.

The fee-paying status of all other bridging visas is determined by the immediately preceding visa.

If the immediately preceding visa attracted international student fees, fees will continue to be payable while the student is on the bridging visa.

If the immediately preceding visa did not attract international student fees, no fees will be payable to the school while the student is on the visa.

Refunds of international student fees depend on your visa type.

You must notify International Services in writing to request a refund or if you withdrawal from a course.

Students applying for or holding a student visa - subclasses 500/571

If your visa is rejected

You will be refunded all paid course costs minus a A$100 administrative fee within 28 days. The refund will only be granted if you supply evidence that your application for a student visa was rejected by Australian immigration authorities.

Student-initiated withdrawal

If you defer, suspend or cancel your enrolment, refunded amounts will be based on when written notice of withdrawal is received:

  • up to four weeks before commencement of the course - A$100 administrative fee will be retained by the school
  • less than two weeks before commencement of the course - A$500 fee will be retained by the school
  • more than four months after commencement - no refund of tuition fees.

No refund will be made if your enrolment is cancelled for any of the following:

  • failure to maintain satisfactory course progress (visa condition 8202)
  • failure to maintain satisfactory attendance (visa condition 8202)
  • failure to maintain approved welfare and accommodation arrangements (visa condition 8532)
  • failure to pay course fees
  • any behaviour identified as resulting in enrolment cancellation per Department of Education policy.

Students who are dependants on their parent's visa or visitor visas

Change of visa status

If your visa status changes to a visa subclass that does not attract international student fees then tuition fees will be refunded from the date that the new visa is granted.

A copy of the new visa must be provided to the school and International Services.

Early departure from a course

If you leave the school to return to your home country or to attend a school outside the Northern Territory (NT), all tuition fees that have been paid will be retained unless a minimum of four weeks notice of your intention to leave is provided to the school in writing.

If four weeks notice has been provided, a refund will be given from the date that you ceased at an NT government school.

For more information on refunds read the international student fee refund processes (521.8 kb).

In the unlikely event that the Department of Education is unable to deliver a course, a full refund will be offered.

The refund less a $100 administrative fee will be paid within two weeks of the course cancellation date.

A student may be offered enrolment on a suitable alternative course at no extra cost.

Students have the right to choose whether they would prefer a full refund or to accept a place on another course.

If placement in another course is chosen, the department will ask the student to sign a document accepting the placement.

Last updated: 16 May 2018


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.