Choose where to live: international students

If your child will study in the Northern Territory (NT) on a subclass 500 student visa, they must have approved accommodation and welfare arrangements in place.

This is a condition of their visa.

There are three options to choose from.

Your child can either:

  • live with you if you are travelling with them to the NT*
  • live with a relative
  • live with a homestay family.

*You will need to apply for a student guardian visa.

Read below for more information.

If you want to go to the NT to support your child while they study, you will need to apply for a student guardian visa.

The student guardian visa is a temporary visa.

It allows you to stay in the NT for the length of your child's studies or until they are 18 years old.

To be eligible for this visa, you must:

  • be the student's parent, guardian or relative
  • be 21 years or older
  • have enough money to support yourself and the student during your stay
  • be able to provide accommodation, welfare and other support.

If you are successful

If you get a student guardian visa and you want to leave Australia, you must either:

  • take your child with you or
  • contact International Services before your departure date to ensure:
    • alternative arrangements can be made
    • written approval can be granted.

To find out more, go to the Department of Home Affairs website.

You can nominate for your child to stay with a family member for the length of their studies or until they are 18 years old.

Relatives must be over the age of 21 and approved by the Department of Home Affairs.

Relatives must take responsibility for your child's welfare until they are 18 years old. They must complete the relevant sections of the student visa application.

To find out more, go to the Department of Home Affairs website.

The Department of Education can arrange for your child to live in homestay accommodation.

This means the department will take responsibility for their welfare.

Students are only eligible for homestay accommodation if they are:

  • a middle school student aged 15 years or over
  • a senior secondary student aged 15 years or over.

Homestay hosts hold valid working with children clearances. They will treat your child as a member of their family.

You will have to pay a weekly rate to the homestay host to cover costs including:

  • rent
  • meals
  • other expenses such as internet use.

If you choose this option, your child must remain in homestay accommodation until they are at least 18 years old.

The accommodation must be approved by the department.

Find out more about living in a homestay.

Last updated: 27 May 2019

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!