Living in a homestay
If your child is in middle or secondary school, you can arrange for them to live in homestay accommodation in the Northern Territory.
Homestay accommodation is for international students who:
- have a subclass 500 student visa
- are studying at a government school in Darwin
- are at least 15 years old
- are unable to live with parents or family while studying.
Homestay hosts provide a safe and welcoming place to stay, and take on a care and support role for international students.
The homestay host does not become your child’s legal guardian.
The Department of Education carries out a review of existing homestay arrangements every six months.
If your child lives with a homestay family, they can expect to get all of the following:
- their own air-conditioned bedroom with furniture including:
- wardrobe (or storage for clothes)
- study desk
- study lamp
- bed linen
- access to laundry facilities
- access to internet
- keys to the house
- an introduction to the local area and available facilities including public buses
- a friendly and relaxed atmosphere where they are treated as a family member.
When living in homestay accommodation, your child must:
- clean their own bedroom
- help with household chores
- obey the household rules
- behave in a respectful manner
- ask permission from their host before inviting friends over
- pay for household items if they are broken or damaged
- not remove any property from the premises without the host's consent.
For more information or to apply for homestay accommodation, contact International Services.
Read the table below to find out about homestay fees.
|Initial student airport pick up||Free of charge|
AU$270 per week which includes: |
Students are to have the same access to food as all other residents of the household.
AU$50 per week when you are absent from your homestay accommodation during stand down time. |
Homestay families can ask for up to 50% of the weekly board if the student is away from the homestay during school semester time (minimum one week).
|Storage of belongings||If students need to store their belongings with a homestay host before moving in, they will need to pay AU$50 per week.|
Last updated: 27 May 2019