How to become a Commissioner for Oaths
Being a Commissioner for Oaths is an honorary position, meaning you will not be paid.
You are not entitled to charge a fee for your services.
You must be able to demonstrate there is a need for a Commissioner for Oaths where you live or in your work. The position is normally held for two or five years.
Before you apply
To apply you must be:
- An Australian citizen
- Of good character
- Registered on the NT electoral roll.
- Able to demonstrate you understand the nature of the role. You can read more about powers, duties and responsibilities on the notes for guidance (pdf 224 kb).
Documents you will need
You must submit all of the following:
- completed Commissioner for Oaths application form
- two recent character references from people who have known you for more than 12 months, and have some standing the community
- original national police certificate - download the criminal history check application
- a letter of support from your employer or community organisation outlining the need for a Commissioner for Oaths.
- proof of identification such as driver licence, passport or birth certificate.
How to apply
Step 1. Complete the Commissioner for Oaths application form .
Step 2. Send your application form and documents listed above to:
Statutory Appointments Officer
Department of the Attorney-General and Justice
GPO Box 1722
Darwin NT 0801
You should allow three or four months for your application to be processed.
If you are successful
You must do all of the following:
- make yourself available within reason, to people who need your services.
- not ask for a fee or accept payment for signing documents.
- update your details on the database if you change your address, job or phone number.
Renewing your application
You will be sent a renewal application within two months of your appointment expiring.
You will need to prove your suitability and need for a Commissioner for Oaths where you live or work.
If you have any questions, contact the statutory appointments officer by either:
- phone 08 8999 1809
- or email AGD.firstname.lastname@example.org.