Justice of the Peace and Commissioner for Oaths

Find a Commissioner for Oaths

Change to services

Due to coronavirus (COVID-19) services may be disrupted.

Only use this service if it is urgent or critical. Requests will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.

To find a Commissioner for Oaths you can do any of the following.

You can search for a Commissioner for Oaths by region or surname using the Commissioner for Oaths database.

Find a Commissioner for Oaths

Go to a police station

You can find a Commissioner for Oaths by going to a police station in the Northern Territory.

Find a list of police stations on the NT Police website.

If you live remotely

If there isn't a police station in your local community, you will need to call the statutory appointments officer on (08) 8999 1809 to find the nearest Commissioner for Oaths to you.

Other people who are Commissioners for Oaths

There are people who are automatically given power under the law to be a Commissioner for Oaths.

They are also known as ex-officio Commissioner for Oaths.

These are all of the following:

  • a member of the Legislative Assembly
  • a member of the Commonwealth Senate who represents the Territory
  • a member of the commonwealth House of Representatives who represents an electorate in the Territory
  • a legal practitioner who holds a practising certificate
  • a police officer
  • anyone appointed by the Attorney-General.

A person stops being a Commissioner for Oaths when they no longer hold one of these positions.

Contact us

To find out more call the Attorney-General and Justice statutory appointments officer on  (08) 8999 1809.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 06 April 2020

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!