Find a Justice of the Peace
To find a Justice of the Peace (JP) you can do any of the following:
Search the online database
You can search the online database by region or surname.
Go to a courthouse
You can go to a Local Court registry office from 9am to 4pm and see a JP at the counter.
JPs are also at the Supreme Court registry office but only during certain hours, so you should phone the court before you go.
If you live remotely
You should search the online database to find the nearest JP in your area.
Other people who are JPs
There are people who are automatically given power under the law to be a JP.
They are also known as ex-officio JPs.
These people are:
- a Supreme Court judge
- the Master of the Supreme Court
- the Registrar of the Supreme Court
- a Local Court judge
- a Registrar of the local court
- a Judicial Registrar or Registrar of the Family Court of Australia
- the Mayor of a municipality
- any person appointed by the Administrator.
A person stops being a JP when they no longer hold one of these positions.