Radiation licences for medical and dental practitioners

Dental practitioners

If you are a dental practitioner you must be licensed to use dental x-ray equipment.

This includes:

  • dentists
  • dental hygienists
  • dental therapists
  • dental assistants.

Before you apply

Dentists, dental hygienists and dental therapists

You must be registered as a dental practitioner with the Dental Board of Australia under the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) to use intra-oral x-ray equipment.

If you want to use orthopantomograms (OPG) and dental cone beam CT (CBCT), you must provide evidence of appropriate training to operate OPG and CBCT equipment. Nationally recognised training is available.

Go to the Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency website (ARPNSA) for a list of nationally recognised training providers.

Dental assistants

You can use intraoral equipment to x-ray teeth and facial bones if you have completed an accredited certificate level IV course that includes OPG.

How to apply

To apply follow these steps.

Step 1. Fill in the application for a licence to the Chief Health Officer.
Step 2. Check the fee.
Step 3. Submit your application and fee in one of the following ways:

In person

Submit your application and fee at your nearest Receiver of Territory Monies Office.

Email or mail

Phone the Receiver of Territory Monies and pay the fee by credit card.

Enter your payment receipt number on the application form and do one of the following:


For more information contact Radiation Protection by phone on 08 8922 7152 or email at radiationprotection@nt.gov.au.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 15 June 2021

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!