Radiation licences for medical and dental practitioners

Registered nurses and general practitioners

If you are a registered nurse or general practitioner you must obtain a remote operator's licence to take chest and extremity x-rays.

Any x-rays you take must be reported by a radiologist.

To apply for a remote operator's licence, you must meet all of the following criteria:

  • be registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia under the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA)
  • successfully complete an x-ray training course at Royal Darwin Hospital.

X-ray conditions

If you hold a remote operator's licence, you must:

  • only take chest and extremity x-rays except in an emergency
  • record each radiographic view and number of repeats
  • ensure that examinations are reported by a radiologist unless advised otherwise.


For more information about x-ray conditions for registered nurses and general practitioners, and advice relating to remote operator use licence conditions, contact Radiation Protection on 08 8922 7152.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 30 October 2018

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!