Radiation licences for medical and dental practitioners
Registered nurses and general practitioners
If you are a registered nurse or general practitioner you must obtain a remote operator's licence to take chest and extremity x-rays.
Any x-rays you take must be reported by a radiologist.
To apply for a remote operator's licence, you must meet all of the following criteria:
- be registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia under the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA)
- successfully complete an x-ray training course at Royal Darwin Hospital.
If you hold a remote operator's licence, you must:
- only take chest and extremity x-rays except in an emergency
- record each radiographic view and number of repeats
- ensure that examinations are reported by a radiologist unless advised otherwise.
For more information about x-ray conditions for registered nurses and general practitioners, and advice relating to remote operator use licence conditions, contact Radiation Protection on 08 8922 7152.
Last updated: 01 February 2019