Registered nurses and general practitioners
If you are a registered nurse or general practitioner you must obtain a radiation licence to conduct chest and extremity x-rays.
To apply for a radiation licence, you must meet all of the following criteria:
- be registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia under the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA)
- successfully complete an x-ray training course at Royal Darwin Hospital.
Registered nurses may perform emergency chest and extremity x-rays under the direct supervision of a radiographer at:
- Katherine Hospital
- Gove District Hospital
- Tennant Creek Hospital.
If you take x-rays without a radiation licence, you must:
- only take chest and extremity x-rays except in an emergency
- record each radiographic view and number of repeats
- make radiographic views and repeats available for inspectors if required
- ensure that examinations are reported by a radiologist unless advised otherwise - a request for advice by email is sufficient.
Contact Radiation Protection on (08) 8922 7152 for detailed information about x-ray conditions for registered nurses.