Radiation licences for medical and dental practitioners

Personal radiation monitoring

Personal radiation monitoring is a way to keep track of your radiation dose. Radiation exposure has a cumulative effect and lifetime monitoring may be needed.

If you work in the following areas or positions your organisation's radiation licence holder must provide you with a personal monitoring device:

  • diagnostic imaging
  • dentistry
  • chiropractic
  • veterinary
  • general practice
  • nursing
  • anyone who operates CT and fluoroscopic equipment 
  • orthopaedic surgeon
  • nuclear medicine technologist
  • medical physicist
  • industrial radiographer or NDT technician
  • soil technician
  • anyone who handles or transports unsealed radioactive material
  • researcher using radiation sources
  • anyone who installs, services, tests or decommissions radiation sources
  • trainees learning how to use radiation sources
  • uranium and mineral sand industry workers
  • any other professions that may be exposed to radiation sources.

Your licensee may apply for a personal radiation monitoring exemption if the radiation dose received by an employee is less than 1 mSV per year.

Radiation monitoring service providers

These organisations provide radiation monitoring services in the Northern Territory (NT). 

This is not a complete list. Other providers may also provide an appropriate service.

Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency (ARPANSA)
Phone: 1800 678 112

SGS Radiation Services
Phone: (03) 9574 3370

Landauer Australasia
Phone: (02) 9713 0000

Personal radiation monitoring resources

Go to the Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency website for personal radiation monitoring information.

You can also phone Radiation Protection on (08) 8922 7152.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 11 October 2017

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!