Commercial and private agent licences

Who needs a licence

You need a licence to work as a commercial agent, inquiry agent, process server or private bailiff in the Northern Territory.

Commercial agent

A commercial agent is someone who is paid to:

  • locate or seize items subject to a hire purchase agreement or bill of sale
  • collect or request payment of debts
  • get evidence for legal proceedings
  • search for missing persons on behalf of someone else
  • seize goods to recover rates, taxes or money
  • carry out legal processes as the result of a judgement or court order.

Inquiry agent

An inquiry agent, or private detective, is paid to collect information. This includes tasks like:

  • getting information about a person's character, actions, business or occupation
  • collecting evidence for legal proceedings
  • searching for missing persons on behalf of someone else.

Private bailiff

A private bailiff executes warrants and processes. They can also make arrests.

Process server

A process server is paid to serve writs, summons or other legal processes on behalf of someone else.

Go to how to apply for an agent licence.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 11 March 2016

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!