Building plans for food businesses

If you are starting a new food business or making substantial alterations to an existing food business in the Northern Territory (NT), you must make sure that your building plans meet the requirements of the food safety standards.

You will need to include a copy of your floor plan when you register or renew your food business.

Submit your building plans

You must lodge building plans through an approved building certifier when you:

  • plan to fit-out a new food premises
  • or make significant alterations to an existing business.

Find out how to engage a registered building certifier.

Food safety requirements

The fit-out of your proposed food premises must comply with food safety standards.

Read about the requirements on the Food Standards Australia New Zealand website.

Food safety assessment

Your building certifier will send your building plans to the Environmental Health unit for assessment. The plans will be assessed against food safety standards. An environmental health officer may request further information about the fit-out.

After assessment, the Environmental Health Officer will provide health comment to your building certifier. You shouldn't start building works until health comment has been issued.

The Environmental Health Officer will provide you information on requirements and how to register or renew your food business.


For more information contact Environmental Health.

Last updated: 20 January 2023

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!