Register or renew a food business

Most food businesses that sell food in the Northern Territory (NT) need to be registered.

Your registration is valid for 12 months, and you must renew every year.

Register or renew now

On the Australian Government Business website

You must register at least one month before your food business opens.

If your business uses private water supplies you must provide documentation.

Read more about private water supplies in food businesses.

Paying the fee

You can pay your fee using a credit card when you register or renew online.

To find out how much you will have to pay, go to the food business registration fees.

Other ways to register or renew

If you can't register or renew online you should contact Environmental Health by emailing or calling 08 8922 7377.

Businesses that don't need to register

The following are exempt from registration requirements:

  • A food business that sells only low risk pre-packaged food, such as a pharmacy, newsagency or bottle shop.
  • A food business that raises funds solely for charitable purposes and sells food that is:
    • not potentially hazardous or
    • intended to be eaten immediately after cooking.
  • A food business that only serves complimentary beverages in conjunction with another business, such as a hairdresser or fashion outlet.

Last updated: 22 September 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.