Register or renew a food business
Most food businesses that sell food in the Northern Territory (NT) need to be registered. Your registration is valid for 12 months.
You must renew every year. Submit your renewal at least 30 days before your registration expires.
Estimated completion time: 20 to 30 minutes.
All steps must be completed in one go. You can't save your application and complete it later.
Information you will need
- Business details, including your ABN.
- Contact information for the business proprietor.
- If your business uses a private water supply, microbiological and chemical water testing results.
- Copy of your proposed or changed menu.
- Floor plans. These should show details of all fixtures, fittings, equipment, surface finishes and elevations.
Paying the fee
If you're registering for the first time, an environmental health officer will call you to arrange payment. They will do this once your food business application has been assessed.
If you're renewing online, you have the option to pay after completing the form.
Read more about food business registration fees.
Change to renewal fees
Starting 1 January 2021, renewal fees, per premises, are as follows:
priority 1 - $175
priority 2 - $84
priority 3 - $42.
Applications to register a new food business are processed within 30 days. This depends on your application being complete and correct.
Renewals take up to 7 days.
Other ways to register or renew
If you can't register or renew online, fill in the relevant application below and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, call environmental health on 08 8922 7377.
Businesses that don't need to register
You don't need to register if your food business:
- Sells only low risk pre-packaged food, such as a pharmacy, newsagency or bottle shop.
- Raises funds solely for charitable purposes and sells food that is not potentially hazardous or intended to be eaten immediately after cooking.
- Only serves complimentary beverages in conjunction with another business, such as a hairdresser or fashion outlet.
Last updated: 15 February 2021
Share this page: