Register or renew a food business
Most food businesses that sell food in the Northern Territory (NT) need to be registered.
Your registration is valid for 12 months, and you must renew every year.
On the Australian Government Business website
You must register at least one month before your food business opens.
If your business uses private water supplies you must provide documentation.
Read more about private water supplies in food businesses.
Paying the fee
You can pay your fee using a credit card when you register or renew online.
To find out how much you will have to pay, go to the food business registration fees.
Other ways to register or renew
Businesses that don't need to register
The following are exempt from registration requirements:
- A food business that sells only low risk pre-packaged food, such as a pharmacy, newsagency or bottle shop.
- A food business that raises funds solely for charitable purposes and sells food that is:
- not potentially hazardous or
- intended to be eaten immediately after cooking.
- A food business that only serves complimentary beverages in conjunction with another business, such as a hairdresser or fashion outlet.
Last updated: 22 September 2020
Share this page: