Gaming machines in clubs and pubs
Who can apply for gaming machines
You can apply for a gaming machine licence if you are any of the following:
- a club, public hotel or tavern liquor licence holder
- a transferee of an approved liquor licence
- an applicant for a relevant liquor licence.
You can apply for a liquor licence and a gaming machine licence at the same time.
You can also apply for a licence to increase the number of gaming machines you have up to a limit.
If you hold a gaming machine licence you must do all of the following:
- only get finance to buy, lease or rent gaming equipment through approved financial providers
- buy equipment from approved gaming equipment suppliers
- use an approved service contractor to install and maintain your equipment.
Your premises must be covered by your liquor licence. If you want to make alterations to your premises for the gaming machines you must apply for a material alteration under the Liquor Act.
Read about making changes to licensed premises.
Last updated: 04 February 2020