Apply for water extraction licence
Apply for a surface water extraction licence
This page has information to help you apply for a licence to take or use surface water.
Before you apply
Before you apply you should consider all of the following:
- a water licence is usually granted for 10 years, but longer term licences can be approved in special circumstances
- it can take at least three to four months to process your application for a new or increased licence
- if your application is refused you can appeal a water licence decision.
You will need to attach both of the following to your application form:
- a map with the location of existing or proposed pump, the location where the water is to be used, the method and route of moving the water and the lands in the immediate area - this includes lot, portion, section, lease numbers and boundaries
- a property development plan.
How to apply
To apply you must fill in the grant or renewal of a licence to take or use surface water form.
- grant or renewal of a licence to take or use surface water form
- grant or renewal of a licence to take of use surface water form
Submit the form to your local Water Resources office.
Last updated: 24 February 2016