Road reserves: advertising and activities

This page has information about changes to advertising and conducting activities in Northern Territory (NT) road reserves.

Following community and business consultation, a new system has been put in place to manage:

  • where and how signs are displayed and
  • how activities are conducted in road reserves.

Businesses and community members wanting to advertise or hold an activity in a road reserve will need to become familiar with the new rules.

A 12-month moratorium is currently in place to allow a transition period for the implementation of the Advertising and Activities in NT Government Road Reserves guidelines.

The new rules include:

  • From 16 February 2021 the requirements within the guidelines will be enforced.
  • Permit fees will not apply until 1 July 2021.
  • Mobile business vendors and signage owners will need to apply for a permit.

For more information, read the guidelines.

Guidelines for advertising and activities in NT Government road reserves PDF (4.0 MB)

Guidelines for advertising and activities in NT Government road reserves DOCX (20.2 MB)

To read the election signage policy, go to the Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics website.

Apply for a permit

Before you apply for a permit, you must read the advertising and activities in road reserves management guidelines.

By applying for a permit, you agree to accept and comply with:

  • the requirements specified in the guidelines
  • any other conditions stated in any permit granted to you.

Apply online


For more information, contact your nearest Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics office:

Office locationPhoneEmailStreet address
Darwin 1300 011
Level 3 Highway House
Palmerston NT 0830
Katherine 08 8973
Katherine Government Centre
First Street
Katherine NT 0850
Tennant Creek 08 8962
Leichhardt Street
Tennant Creek NT 0860
Alice Springs 08 8951
Floor 1 Green Well Building
50 Bath Street
Alice Springs NT 0870
Nhulunbuy 08 8987
John Flynn Drive
Nhulunbuy NT 0880

Last updated: 24 December 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.