Apply for road event permit

You must apply to organise a:

  • vehicle or bicycle speed trial or race on any public road
  • a parade or procession on a public road owned by the Northern Territory (NT).

Other parades or processions need approval from the road authority.

Before you apply

Applications will not be accepted more than three months or less than seven days prior to an event date.

You will need all of the following:

The road authority is responsible for the care, control and management of the public road – eg: councils, shire councils and the NT Government.

More than one road authority may need to grant their approval for an event.

The organiser may also be required to have some or all of the following:

Traffic management plan for events

For events conducted on NT Government-controlled roads, a traffic management plan designed by a qualified NT traffic management plan designer is required.

NT traffic management designers should refer to the technical policy on traffic management plans.

Advisory and warning signs

Certain events may require advisory or warning signs. Where applicable, signs must comply with Australian Standards.

Medical facility

The organiser may be required to provide appropriate aid, comfort or medical facility to anyone involved in an event. For larger events, emergency management plans may be required.

Litter and refuse

The organiser may be required to remove litter and refuse as a result of an event.

Public notice requirement

Public notice of the application must be made not less than seven days before the event. This is not a notice of approval for the event.

How to apply

Fax your application for road event  to the Transport Regulation and Compliance division on (08) 8924 7009.

You can also lodge your form at a MVR office.

More information

For more information get a copy of the following:

V61 Speed trials and races (245.8 kb)

V62 Parades and processions (241.7 kb)

Last updated: 03 August 2018