Memorials on roads
A monument is a permanent commemoration of a significant person or event relevant to the Northern Territory (NT).
A memorial is a marker of a fatality site, a cross or a floral tribute.
- apply to place a memorial or monument on a road in the NT or
- report a memorial or monument on the road reserve if it's a road safety hazard.
A monument can only be approved by the Minister for Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics or their delegate.
Before you apply
You're only allowed to place a memorial or monument if you agree to regularly maintain it.
Rules for materials and placement
The monument or memorial must:
- not obscure traffic control devices or signs
- not cause a traffic hazard
- be a simple design that doesn't distract drivers
- be a reasonable size
- be firmly fixed
- not be created from litter
- not be a plant or tree
- be at least 1m from the back of kerbs or footpaths
- be at least 4m from the edge of the bitumen if there is no kerb
- not be erected on central medians with a width less than six metres
- not be erected within 25m of an intersection.
When visiting a memorial or monument, you must:
- show due care and consideration for other road users
- not use glass material or containers.
Removal of memorial or monument
The memorial or monument can be removed by the NT Government if:
- you don't maintain the memorial or monument
- neighbouring residents complain.
The memorial or monument may also be removed due to road works. It's your responsibility to put the memorial or monument back in its place once the road works are complete.
The NT Government does not take any responsibility if your memorial or monument is damaged.
How to apply to place a memorial or monument
Report a memorial or monument on the road reserve
You can report a memorial or monument on the road reserve if it's:
- a road safety hazard
- not being maintained.
You should find out who manages the road that the memorial or monument is located on, and then contact the relevant authority.
Last updated: 09 November 2020
Share this page: