Aboriginal land and permits

Land council roles and contacts

There are 4 land councils in the Northern Territory:

Aboriginal Land Councils have legal power to help Aboriginal people negotiate with governments and private companies over projects on their land.

They also support Aboriginal people to manage their land and sea, including issuing permits to enter, fish, film and perform other activities on Aboriginal land.

You can contact the relevant land council to apply for permits.

Read the Aboriginal Land Rights (Northern Territory) Act 1976.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 24 May 2022

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!