Renew your driver licence
To continue driving on Northern Territory (NT) roads, you must renew your driver licence before it expires.
Within 6 weeks of its expiry, you will be sent a renewal notice to your nominated email or postal address.
You may also receive SMS notifications if you've nominated to receive them.
To renew for:
- 1, 2 or 5 years, you can apply online
- 10 years, you must go to an MVR office or participating Australia Post outlet to get a new photo.
If you need to update your contact details, use MVR Quickpay.
Who can't renew
You can’t renew your driver licence if:
- it's an alcohol ignition lock or learner licence - you must re-apply for your learner licence
- it’s been suspended or cancelled
- you’re currently disqualified from holding or obtaining a driver licence
- it’s been expired for 5 years or more
- you‘re no longer a resident of the NT.
Before you renew
Before you renew your driver licence, you must:
- update your mailing address if its changed through:
- check your renewal notice to find out if you need:
How to renew
When you renew, you must:
- surrender your old driver licence card
- pay the renewal fee.
You can renew using the options below.
To renew online, you must have your transaction number. This can be found on:
- the upper, right hand side of your renewal notice or
- on your renewal SMS message.
If you have a barcode on your renewal notice next to the renewal period, you can get basic licence renewals at Australia Post outlets.
You must bring your driver licence card.
To get your photo taken, you can go to selected post outlets. Read more about MVR transactions at your post office.
To renew at an MVR office, you must bring your:
- driver licence card or evidence of your identity
- medical assessment or criminal history check (if applicable).
After you apply
Once your renewal is processed, you will get a receipt, which you must keep with you at all times when driving.
This is your authority to drive until your driver licence card arrives at your recorded postal address.
Standard delivery times apply.
You can also choose to:
Last updated: 16 August 2022
Share this page:URL copied!