Driving in the NT for new residents and visitors

If you're a new Northern Territory (NT) resident or visitor, you can drive with your interstate or overseas licence for up to 3 months.

You can do so if:

  • your licence is current and written in English
  • you haven't been disqualified from driving in the NT or anywhere else
  • you carry your licence with you at all times whilst driving.

When you need an international driving permit

Before you travel to the NT, you must apply for an international driving permit if:

  • your overseas licence is not written in English or
  • the type of vehicle you're authorised to drive can't be easily recognised.

If you didn’t get an international driving permit from your country of origin, you must:

  • get an official translation of your overseas licence into English - this must be done by an authorised translator in the NT
  • carry the original versions of these documents when you drive, along with your overseas licence.

Staying in the NT for more than 3 months

If you remain in the NT for a continuous period of more than 3 months, you must transfer to an NT driver licence.

If you fail to do so:

  • you must not drive a vehicle on a public street or place
  • your interstate or overseas driver licence becomes invalid.

If you're moving from:

What you can drive

The class of licence you hold determines the types of vehicle you're allowed to drive.

You can drive interstate or overseas-registered vehicles in the NT if:

  • you hold a valid driver licence for the class of vehicle being driven and
  • the vehicle is registered and roadworthy.

Read more about driver licence classes and requirements for interstate or overseas-registered vehicles.

Road rules and demerit points

All interstate and overseas drivers must obey the Australian road rules and NT road rules.

If you're given a traffic infringement notice in the NT, the offence details and demerit points will be added to the NT Demerit Point Register.

A visitor who exceeds the NT demerit point threshold will have their NT driving privilege legally withdrawn.

If you're an interstate licensed driver and you receive demerit points in the NT, your offence details and demerit point history will be sent to an authority in your home state or territory.

For more information, read about visiting drivers and traffic offences.

Last updated: 16 September 2022

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!