Get a translation
If your translation is urgent, check with the Interpreting and Translating Service NT (ITSNT) that it can be completed on time.
You may have to pay extra for urgent work. Read more about translating fees.
Before you book
Make sure you include the following information in your request:
- the layout required for the translation
- source material including graphics or tables
- software requirements that the translator may need to know
- delivery and address requirements - for example, mail or courier.
Tell ITSNT when you book if the translation needs to be certified.
How to book
To make a booking follow these steps:
Step 1. Fill in the translation request form.
Step 2. Check the fee.
Step 3. Submit your form by email or mail:
83-85 Smith Street
Tips to prepare documents for translation
Use the tips listed below to get your documents ready for translation.
Purpose of the translation and audience
Think about the document's purpose. Is it to provide information or receive information?
Decide on the key information you want to communicate or receive.
You should do all of the following:
- use short and concise sentences
- do not use figures of speech or metaphors
- replace uncommon words with common ones
- use an active voice
- include as many personal references as possible
- use consistent grammar
- explain technical terms (if only for the benefit of the translator)
- use clear and appropriate headings
- structure - have your most important ideas or messages at the start
- provide names in full for acronyms
- allow background explanation of concepts in Australian society.
Copyright and liability
It is illegal to use someone else’s work without their permission, even if you translate it into another language.
Check to see if the material being translated is under copyright. You will need to seek formal written approval from the author or authorising person before requesting a translation of copyrighted material.
If you need help or further information contact ITSNT by calling (08) 8999 8506.
Last updated: 05 March 2018
Share this page:URL copied!