NT residents: apply for long term traveller licence

Northern Territory (NT) residents who are intending to travel in Australia for more than 12 months can apply for long term traveller status.

This will allow you to renew your NT licence while travelling. You must check with interstate authorities whether the long term use of your NT licence is valid in their jurisdiction.

Before you start

To qualify for long term traveller status you must meet all of the following:

  • apply for long term traveller status prior to leaving the NT
  • hold a current NT driver licence at the time of your application
  • intend to return to the NT within three years from the date of departure
  • provide a postal address so the MVR can mail licensing documentation and any other notices such as speed camera fines
  • be an established MVR customer for at least three years immediately prior to your application.

How to apply


Fill in the long term traveller statutory declaration PDF (224.8 KB) and email the form to the MVR at  mvr@nt.gov.au


You can send your form to:

Motor Vehicle Registry
GPO Box 530
Darwin NT 0801

In person

You can also submit your form at an MVR office.

To find out more contact the MVR.

Last updated: 22 January 2018

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!