Permits for camping overnight outside a designated area

You do not need a permit to enter most of the parks and reserves in the Northern Territory (NT).

Most parks and reserves in the NT have designated camp grounds where you can camp without a permit.

Find out more about camping in parks and reserves.

When you need a permit

You need a permit for the following:

Before you apply

Before you apply to get a permit you must understand all the rules and guidelines for safety, comfort and permits in parks and reserves.

How to apply

To apply for a permit you must follow these steps:

Step 1. Fill in the camp overnight outside a designated area permit form.

Step 2. Attach a map or a plan of your walking route and camp sites to your permit application.

Step 3. Submit you application and map by email, fax, or in person to the concessions and permits unit.

After your trip

When you return from your trip you must contact the Parks and Wildlife employee named on your permit to tell them you have left the park and that everyone in your group is safe.

Last updated: 01 March 2022

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!