Sport and active recreation grants: urgent funding

You or your organisation can apply for a Quick Response grant of up to $10,000 to meet unforeseeable expenses  or something that needs immediate funding.

All of the following conditions apply to the Quick Response grant program:

  • organisations and individuals can receive funding only once per financial year
  • regional councils can apply more than once for their communities if applications relate to different communities
  • funding is limited and can vary
  • applications must be a minimum of $500
  • funding can't be provided for sport or active recreation events that have already taken place.

Applications open 1 July and close 31 May each year.

Individuals who are based in the Northern Territory (NT) can apply to the program to get funding for:

  • representing Australia
  • participating in disability or special needs events
  • professional development in their chosen sport.

Organisations can apply if they are:

  • a sport or active recreation organisation as defined by Sport and Recreation - read the guidelines above
  • based in the NT
  • registered as an incorporated body with the Department of Trade, Business and Innovation
  • a not-for-profit organisation
  • compliant with the Department of Trade, Business and Innovation or other relevant authority.

Unincorporated bodies may only apply if they nominate an organisation with an appropriate legal status that agrees to accept legal and financial responsibility for the grant.

Payment of the grant to the unincorporated body will be made through this organisation.

To find out about other organisations that can apply for this grant, and who can't apply, read before you apply for a sport and active recreation grant.

Read about what types of urgent funding individuals and organisations can apply for below.

Replacement of damage or stolen sport and active recreation equipment

An organisation can get funding of up to $10,000 for replacement of damaged sport and active recreational equipment through fire, flood, storm, theft and criminal damage if the following applies:

  • failure to repair is a risk to health and safety, such as building damage by storm
  • failure to repair will cause loss of revenue
  • the damage was unexpected
  • for structure repairs, your organisation must be the owner or have long-term tenure.

Hosting a national or international sport or recreational event

An organisation can get funding of up to $5,000 for hosting a national or international sport or recreational event.

To apply for this funding your event should:

  • have a letter of support from a national sporting organisation
  • be of community and economic benefit to the NT
  • be sanctioned by a national sporting organisation and the Australian Sports Commission
  • show how participation contributes to national or international ranking
  • not require facility upgrades to reach standards required for hosting.

Elite national representation (for individuals)

You can get funding of up to $10,000 for elite national representation. You must:

  • be part of the official Australian team for that sport designated by the national sporting organisation
  • be part of the biggest international event for that sport
  • give evidence you met the selection process for the sport
  • be attending an open-age event
  • be an official member of the Australian team - for athletes, coaches, officials or support staff.

Participation in disability and special needs events (for individuals)

You can get funding for participation in disability or special needs events including travel to national, state, country or community competition.

You can also get funding if you are a carer or support person for athletes with a disability or special needs athletes.

Professional development (for individuals)

You can get up to $2,000 funding for professional development to:

  • attend recognised Australian and international conferences and workshops
  • cover conference fees, travel and accommodation costs - on the basis that a 50% contribution is made by the applicant and evidence of costs is given.

Official Australian team representation

You can get funding of up to $1,000 if you are in the official Australian team for that sport according to its national sporting organisation. You must:

  • be part of the official Australian team for that sport designated by the national sporting organisation
  • give evidence you met the selection process for the sport
  • be at least 12 years old at the time of the nominated competition or event.
  • meet the requirements of the selection process for your sport.

You can't get this grant for any of the following:

  • activities that could be funded by a different program offered by Sport and Recreation
  • activities that should be funded by national sporting organisations or NT peak bodies
  • activities that do not have a sporting pathway such as university or masters games
  • school sports
  • participation in national, state, country, community competitions or school sports for individuals or teams except for disability or special needs participants
  • competitions for individuals or teams, except for disabled people
  • cyber games, camping, or other non-physically active recreation
  • catering or gifts for events
  • non-urgent repairs or maintenance you should have budgeted for
  • overheads, utilities, or service charges
  • wages
  • competition or membership fees and prizes
  • the purchase of motor vehicles.

You can apply for a Quick Response grant online using Grants Tracker.

You will receive feedback on the outcome of your application in the mail.

If your application is successful you will receive a grant agreement.

You must do the following with this agreement before your grant is paid:

  • agree with conditions
  • sign the agreement
  • return the agreement to Sport and Recreation.

If you need further feedback on your application, contact Sport and Recreation.

When your grant is paid

You must provide all of the following for your grant to be paid:

  • bank account details
  • a signed agreement
  • a statement by supplier form if you do not have an ABN and a recipient-created tax Invoice authority form if required - go to the Australian Taxation Office website for more information
  • completed 'reporting responsibilities' outlined in the grant agreement
  • a recipient-created tax invoice authority form where applicable.

Acknowledge the grant

You must publicly acknowledge your grant in all media releases and promotional activity.

For information about how to do this, and to get copies of the correct logos to use, go to How to acknowledge sports grant funding.


If your organisation is not registered for GST it does not need to pay GST.

If your organisation is registered for GST you must pay GST on the funding you get and all of the following apply:

  • your organisation must remit GST to the Australian Taxation Office
  • your funding will be grossed up by 10% or by the current GST rate
  • once your organisation's funds have been released you will get a tax invoice in the mail showing the grossed up amount
  • your organisation must advise Sport and Recreation of any changes to your ABN or GST registration.

Last updated: 18 February 2019


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.