Permits for camping overnight or out of bounds

You do not need a permit to enter most of the parks and reserves in the Northern Territory (NT).

Most parks and reserves in the NT have designated campsites, also called designated camping grounds, where you can camp without a permit.

You can go to a marked campsite any time the park is open.

You need to pay camping fees.

When you need a permit

You need a permit for all of the following:

Before you apply

Before you apply to get a permit you must you understand all the rules and guidelines for safety, comfort and permits in parks and reserves.

How to apply

To apply for a permit you must follow these steps:  

Step 1. Fill in the camping or bushwalking permit form.

Step 2. Attach a map or a plan of your walking route and camp sites to your permit application.

Step 3. Submit you application and map by email, fax, or in person to the concessions and permits unit.

After your trip

When you return from your trip you must contact the Parks and Wildlife employee named on your permit to tell them you have left the park and that everyone in your group is safe.

Last updated: 10 February 2016

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.