Umbrawarra Gorge Nature Park
Umbrawarra is a striking gorge with sharp red cliffs and sandstone overhangs.
Visit in the early to mid Dry Season when you can be sure the creek is flowing and you can swim in its rocky pools and sandy beaches.
It's an easy 1km walk along the creek into the gorge, but those who like the road less travelled can wade, swim and rock-hop along the way.
Travel 211km south along the Stuart Highway from Darwin or 89km north from Katherine and take Umbrawarra Road into the park, approximately 3km south of Pine Creek.
Follow signs to the park entry and drive with care.
The last 22km is on unsealed road and includes creek crossings and steep dips.
You can do all of the following activities in the park:
- swimming - in designated areas only
- walking tracks
- view Aboriginal rock art.
Umbrawarra Gorge has all of the following facilities:
- information signs
- 4WD roads
- public toilets
- picnic areas.
When visiting the park remember all of the following:
- put your rubbish in the bin or take it away with you
- stay on designated roads and tracks
- all cultural items and wildlife are protected
- pets are not permitted in the park
- nets, traps and firearms are not permitted
- be careful with fire and only light fires in fireplaces provided
- don't use soaps or detergents in or near waterways
- camp only in designated camping areas
- collect firewood before arriving at your picnic or campsite
- collect fallen timber only
- generators are not permitted in the park
- follow fishing laws
- check that your vehicle is not transporting pests like weeds and cane toads
- you need a permit to use a drone - you must get it before you arrive.
You can have a safe and comfortable trip to Umbrawarra Gorge Nature Park by doing all of the following:
- observe park safety signs
- swim only where recommended, observe warning signs
- carry and drink plenty of water
- wear a shady hat, sunscreen and insect repellent
- wear suitable clothing and footwear
- carry a first aid kit
- avoid strenuous activity during the heat of the day
- make sure your vehicle is well-maintained and equipped
- beware of theft, lock vehicles and secure valuables.
Phone: 08 8976 0282
Last updated: 21 September 2020
Share this page: