Simpsons Gap: Tjoritja / West MacDonnell National Park
Simpsons Gap is one of the most prominent gaps in the West MacDonnell Ranges.
At dawn or dusk you may spot a black-footed rock wallaby along the walking track or near the permanent waterhole. You cannot swim in the waterhole.
Vegetation typical of the MacDonnell Ranges is found in the area, including large stands of mulga and over 40 rare and relict plants.
Several dreaming trails and stories cross at this important spiritual site.
There are many short walks that pass the native plants of the area, including ancient ghost gums, and to views of the range.
Simpsons Gap is also located on the Larapinta Trail and from here you can walk sections one or two.
Camping is allowed at Simpsons Gap for Larapinta Trail walkers only, at the designated camping area.
Get the Simpsons Gap fact sheet and map .
Ormiston Gorge Ranger Station phone: 08 8956 7799
Simpsons Gap Ranger Station phone: 08 8955 0310
|Park sites||Access||Comments||Forecast opening|
|Tjoritja / West MacDonnell National Park||Open||-|
|Ellery Creek Big Hole||Open||-|
|Glen Helen Gorge||Closed||Glen Helen Gorge is closed.|
|Glen Helen Gorge Walk||Closed||Glen Helen Gorge Walk is closed.|
|Finke River Two Mile||Open||-|
|Ormiston Gorge campground||Open||-|
|Ormiston Gorge Kiosk||Closed||The kiosk is currently closed.|
|Ormiston Pound Walk: Ormiston Gorge||Open||-|
|Ghost Gum Lookout||Open||-|
|Ghost Gum Loop Walk||Open||-|
|Redbank Gorge Walk||Open||-|
|Simpsons Gap Bicycle Path||Open||-|
|Serpentine Chalet C||Open||-|
Some parts of the Larapinta Trail were impacted by fires in 2019. Take care to stay on the track and follow temporary track markers.
|Section 1 - Telegraph Station to Simpsons Gap||Open||-|
|Section 2 - Simpsons Gap to Jay Creek||Open||-|
|Section 3 - Jay Creek to Standley Chasm||Open||-|
|Section 4 - Standley Chasm to Birthday Waterhole||Open||-|
|Section 5 - Birthday Waterhole to Hugh Gorge||Open||-|
|Section 6 - Hugh Gorge to Ellery Creek||Open||-|
|Section 7 - Ellery Creek to Serpentine Gorge||Open||-|
|Section 8 - Serpentine Gorge to Serpentine Chalet||Open||-|
|Section 9 - Serpentine Chalet to Ormiston Gorge||Open||-|
|Section 10 - Ormiston Gorge to Finke River||Open||-|
|Section 11 - Finke River to Redbank Gorge||Open||-|
|Section 12 - Redbank Gorge to Mt Sonder return||Open||-|
All year round, but it is best to visit in the cooler months from April to September.
The turnoff to Simpsons Gap is along Larapinta Drive, 18km west of Alice Springs.
The Gap can also be reached by cycling 17kms one way along the sealed Simpsons Gap Bike Path.
Simpsons Gap has all of the following facilities:
- information signs
- ranger station - for emergency contact only
- picnic area
- public toilets
- drinking water - must be treated before drinking
- gas barbecues
- disabled access
When visiting the park remember all of the following:
- stay on designated roads and tracks
- all historic, cultural items and wildlife are protected
- fires are not permitted - use the barbecues provided
- pets are not permitted in the park
- swimming is not permitted in Simpsons Gap
- a permit is required for drone use – conditions apply and it must be obtained prior to your arrival in the park.
You can have a safe and comfortable trip to Simpsons Gap by doing all of the following:
- observe park safety signs
- carry and drink plenty of water
- wear a hat, sunscreen, insect repellent, suitable clothing and footwear
- avoid strenuous activity during the heat of the day
- think about your health and fitness when choosing a walk
- use free interactive park maps on your mobile phone or tablet.
Phone: 08 8951 8250
Last updated: 19 November 2019
Share this page: