Chambers Pillar Historical Reserve
The 50m high sandstone pillar is the main feature of the Chambers Pillar Historical Reserve.
The pillar is impressive and towers over the plains below.
It's best seen at sunset when it reflects the light to bring out the strong red and orange colours.
Explore the reserve on foot and don't forget your camera.
The local Aboriginal people believe that the pillar is the gecko ancestor Itirkawara.
All year round.
The best time to visit is during the cooler months from April to September.
The road may be closed after rain.
Access the park with a 4WD vehicle.
The reserve is roughly 160km south of Alice Springs on Old South Road.
Check road conditions before you go.
Four wheel drive (4WD) enthusiasts will enjoy the journey getting here.
Be very careful when driving over single lane sand dunes.
You can either have someone check for oncoming traffic, flash your lights or attach a flag to your vehicle.
There's a steep jump up on the road into the reserve.
- short walks
- wildlife spotting
- historical markings.
Chambers Pillar Historical Reserve has all of the following facilities:
- information signs
- fire pits
- public toilets
- picnic area
- walking tracks
- viewing platform.
As of May 2018, gas barbecues will no longer be available at Chambers Pillar.
When visiting the park remember all of the following:
- stay on designated roads and tracks
- historic, cultural items and wildlife are protected
- firewood collection is not permitted in the reserve
- fires are only permitted in designated fire pits
- bins are not provided, so take your rubbish with you
- pets are not permitted
- generators are not permitted
- drones are not permitted.
You can have a safe and comfortable trip to Chambers Pillar Historical Reserve by doing all of the following:
- observe park safety signs
- carry and drink plenty of water
- wear a hat, sunscreen, insect repellent, suitable clothing and footwear
- avoid strenuous activity during the heat of the day
- think about your health and fitness when choosing a walk.
Last updated: 05 June 2020
Share this page:URL copied!