Financial help for isolated students

Conveyance subsidy

You may be able to access financial help with the cost of daily travel for your child to their nearest school if they are disadvantaged by the distance of travel.

The subsidy is available for full-time students at NT-based schools including:

  • primary, middle or senior schools
  • tertiary education facilities.

To be eligible you and your child must be permanent residents of the NT.

Your child must also:

  • live more than 5kms from their nearest school or nearest point of access to public transport (unless they can’t travel on public transport due to age restrictions)
  • be taking the most direct route available to and from school.

What trips you can claim

The journey must be undertaken for the sole purpose of transporting your child to and from school.

If your child is transported on the way to and from your place of employment, or any other activity, the journey is not considered eligible.

You must undertake two return trips per day to convey the student from home to school and return. This includes:

  • home to school (applicant drops off student and then returns home)
  • home to school (applicant collects student and then applicant and student return home).

Vehicle being used

The nominated vehicle you use to transport your child must be a private vehicle that you own.

If the vehicle is owned by someone else, you must include a statutory declaration from the owner giving their consent for you to drive the vehicle for the purpose of transporting your child to and from school. This declaration must accompany each application you make.

The nominated vehicle must be registered with the NT Motor Vehicle Registry for the intended claim period.

You must apply for the subsidy in advance and before you submit a claim.

You need to submit a new application each year. The application is due by 30 September in the year that you will be making a claim.

Once your application has been approved, you can claim for reimbursement of travel costs.

To apply for the subsidy, fill in the application.

Student assistance application PDF (152.3 KB)
Student assistance application DOCX (78.5 KB)

You must include the following supporting information with your application:

  • a statement of distance travelled
  • a map of the journey between home and school
  • a copy of each applicant’s drivers licence covering the intended claim period.

If your application has been approved, you can make a claim for reimbursement of travel costs.

Claims must be submitted to the Department of Education by 31 March following the year of travel.

You will need to fill in parts 1 and 2 of the claim.

Part 1: claim form

Conveyance subsidy scheme claim form part 1 PDF (42.0 KB)
Conveyance subsidy scheme claim form part 1 DOCX (61.6 KB)

Part 2: travel details

Conveyance subsidy scheme claim form part 2 PDF (64.1 KB)
Conveyance subsidy scheme claim form part 2 DOCX (39.1 KB)

Completed claim forms must be signed by the school principal or business manager to verify student's attendance.

You must attach a copy of your child’s school attendance record for the period being claimed.

The amount you can claim depends on:

  • the distance travelled between your home and school
  • if you are a new applicant or a previous (before 2018) claimant.

In 2019, you can claim $0.46 cents per kilometre (km) for the distance travelled from home to school and return, less the first 5kms from each stage of the trip for new applicants.

If you have successfully claimed for named students in 2017 and prior years you can claim the full distance from home to school.

The maximum distance payable is 200km per day.

The subsidy is based on vehicle use rather than the number of students being transported.


A first time applicant lives 35km from the nearest school or point of public transport.

The distance claimable is calculated as follows:

  • Home to school (parent and student): 35km less 5km = 30km
  • School to home (parent returns home): 35km less 5km = 30km
  • Home to school (parent travels from home to school): 35km less 5km = 30km
  • School to home (parent and student return home): 35km less 5km = 30km

Total eligible kilometers = 120km


Submit your application either by email, fax or post using the following contact details:

Student assistance officer
Corporate Support
Department of Education

GPO Box 4821
Darwin NT 0801

Phone: 1800 019 157 or 08 8901 4965
Fax: 08 8901 4976

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 25 June 2021

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!