Australian Government student assistance
You may be eligible for allowances under student assistance schemes provided by the Australian Government in addition to Northern Territory (NT) financial help.
To be eligible for some NT student assistance schemes, you must first be approved under the Assistance for Isolated Children scheme (AIC).
Assistance for Isolated Children (AIC)
You may qualify for help if your child cannot go to an appropriate state school because of geographical isolation, disability or special health needs. To be eligible you must meet all of the following:
- have a child who lives in an isolated area, or
- a child with a disability or special health need that cannot be met at a local state school.
Go to the Australian Government website for more information on the AIC scheme.
ABSTUDY helps Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders who are studying or undertaking an Australian apprenticeship.
To receive ABSTUDY you must meet all of the following:
- be Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
- enrolled in an approved course or undertaking an Australian apprenticeship
- not receiving any other government assistance to study or do an apprenticeship or traineeship.
Go to the Australian Government website for more information on ABSTUDY.
For information on the Australian Government ABSTUDY and AIC Schemes use the following phone numbers:
- AIC - 132 318
- ABSTUDY - 132 317
- AUSTUDY payment - 132 490
- Youth Allowance - 132 490.
Further information on NT student assistance scheme contact the student assistance officer on:
- email: email@example.com
- hotline: 1800 019 157
- phone: (08) 8901 4965
Last updated: 04 February 2019