Financial help for isolated students


Northern Territory (NT) students can get financial help if they have to travel considerable distances to go to school each day, live away from home to attend school or university, or access distance education.

The different assistance schemes are listed below.

The conveyance subsidy is available for help with daily transport for your child to and from school.

Read about the conveyance subsidy.

The following schemes are available if your child attends a school of the air or other distance education school within the NT:

You can apply for the tertiary fares reimbursement scheme if your child attends university or higher education away from home in the NT.

Find out how to apply for the tertiary fares reimbursement scheme.

Any claim or application you make will be acknowledged and you will be notified of the outcome.

You can also get a copy of the guidelines and procedures below.

Student assistance schemes guidelines and procedures PDF (1019.8 KB)
Student assistance schemes guidelines and procedures DOCX (226.5 KB)

Help from the Australian Government

In order to qualify for some NT student assistance schemes, you must first be approved for assistance under the Australian Government's Assistance for Isolated Children scheme (AIC) or ABSTUDY schemes.

Read more about Australian Government assistance schemes.

Appeal about a decision

You can submit an appeal about a decision under the student assistance schemes to:

Assistant director corporate support
Financial Services
Department of Education
GPO Box 4821
Darwin NT 0801

Appeals that are unable to be resolved at the Financial Services level may be referred to the chief executive for an internal review.


You can find out more by:

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 04 December 2019

Give feedback about this page.

Share this page:

URL copied!