Financial help for isolated students
Interstate boarding allowance
You may be able to get help with boarding costs if your child has to live away from home to attend an interstate boarding school.
The allowance is available to primary, middle or senior school students.
Who can apply
To be eligible, you and your child must be permanent residents of the Northern Territory (NT).
Your child must also be:
- studying full-time
- living away from home in order to attend an interstate boarding school on a daily basis
- approved for Basic Boarding Allowance under the Australian Government’s Assistance for Isolated Children (AIC) scheme.
Your child isn't eligible for the subsidy if they're receiving:
- Second Home Allowance under the AIC scheme
- ABSTUDY payments.
You can find out more about the AIC scheme and ABSTUDY on the Australian Government's Department of Human Services website.
How much you can get
How to apply
You need to submit a new application each year.
The application is due by 30 September in the year that you'll be making a claim.
To apply for the subsidy, fill in the application.
You must attach the following:
- a copy of the student’s current AIC Basic Boarding Allowance statement
- a statement of boarding fees covering the intended claim period.
If your application is approved, you'll be paid the allowance. You don't need to submit a separate claim form.
Last updated: 30 September 2022
Share this page:URL copied!