Financial help for isolated students
Interstate boarding allowance
You may be able to get help with boarding costs if your child has to live away from home to attend an interstate boarding school.
The subsidy is available for full-time students at interstate primary, middle or senior boarding schools.
To be eligible you and your child must be permanent residents of the Northern Territory (NT).
Your child must also be:
- accessing curriculum offerings that aren’t available at NT schools that have access to boarding facilities
- living away from home in order to attend school on a daily basis
- approved for Basic Boarding Allowance under the Australian Government’s Assistance for Isolated Children (AIC) scheme.
Your child isn't eligible for the subsidy if they are receiving:
- Second Home Allowance under the AIC scheme
- ABSTUDY payments.
You can find out more about the AIC scheme and ABSTUDY on the Australian Government's Department of Human Services website.
You need to submit a new application each year. The application is due by 30 September in the year that you will be making a claim.
To apply for the subsidy, fill in the application.
You must attach the following:
- a copy of the student’s current AIC Basic Boarding Allowance statement
- a statement of boarding fees covering the intended claim period
- evidence of enrolment and attendance for the specialist curriculum offerings that aren’t available through the NT School of Distance Education or at NT schools that have access to boarding facilities.
If your application is approved you will be paid the allowance. You don't need to submit a separate claim form.
Last updated: 25 June 2021
Share this page:URL copied!