Financial help for isolated students
Interstate boarding allowance
You may be able to access help from the interstate boarding allowance scheme towards boarding costs if your child has to live away from home in order to attend an interstate school.
Who can apply
To be eligible you must comply with all of the following:
- you and your child must be permanent residents in the Northern Territory (NT)
- you must be approved for basic boarding allowance under the assistance for isolated children scheme (AIC)
- your child must be enrolled and attending an interstate primary, middle or senior school on a daily basis
- the curriculum is not available at an NT primary, middle or senior boarding school.
You are not eligible for the allowance if you:
- get ABSTUDY grants
- or are approved for the AIC scheme second home allowance.
How to apply
Fill in the application.
You will need to provide evidence of:
- boarding fees
- Centrelink AIC assistance
- basic boarding allowance statement
- enrolment and attendance in the specialist curriculum.
You must submit a new application and any supporting evidence every year.
Submit the application to the Department of Education by 30 September of each year for which claims are to be made.
Late applications will only be accepted under exceptional circumstances.
Submit the application either by email, fax or post using the following details.
Student assistance officer
Financial Services Division
Department of Education
GPO Box 4821
Darwin NT 0801
Phone: 1800 019 157 or 08 8901 4965
Fax: 08 8901 4976
How to claim
Last updated: 01 April 2019