Financial help for isolated students


You may be able to get financial help if your child has to travel considerable distances to go to school each day, lives away from home to attend school, college or university or accesses distance education.

This section explains the different assistance schemes:

  • conditions of the scheme
  • who can apply
  • how to apply
  • how to make a claim.

Go to the individual scheme pages for information, application and claim details.


The conveyance subsidy is available for help with daily transport for your child to and from school.

The following schemes are available if your child attends a school of the air or other distance education school within the Northern Territory (NT):

The tertiary fares reimbursement scheme is available if your child attends university or higher education away from home in the NT.

The scheme also applies if your child attends interstate university or higher education.

In order to qualify for some NT student assistance schemes, you must first be approved for assistance under the Australian Government's Assistance for Isolated Children scheme (AIC) or ABSTUDY schemes.

Read more about Australian Government assistance schemes.

Applications must be submitted to the department by 30 September of each year.

Claims can be made once your application has been approved.

Claims must be made by 31 March of the following year eg for the 2015 application year claims must be made by 31 March 2016.

Late applications will only be accepted under exceptional circumstances.

Go to the individual schemes pages for application and claim details.

You can find out more by contacting the Department of Education student assistance officer.

Student assistance officer
Financial Services Division
Department of Education

GPO Box 4821
Darwin NT 0801

Phone: 1800 019 157 or 08 8901 4965
Fax: 08 8901 4976

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 01 April 2019


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.